Saturday 3 September 2016

AFRICA RIDES ON YANA, SO HAVE I

The memory is still  fresh and vivid in my mind. The raw feelings. Bile still rises at the memory. Sitting on grass we were supposed to enjoy the scene of boys running after a heap of dried animal skin. I was a class or two ahead of him but tiny as many would clearly remember. If combat ever became an option, defeat was definite.
Privileged with a big-sized body, better quality of life, an ego too bloated for a class four kid and a loose mouth, he took it out on me.
Those were the days when shoes were a privilege in the village and having a Nike pair like he did, he clearly had it going (or maybe the dad did have it going for him). He prophesied on me about my banking profession given the big ugly painful cracks I had on the soles of my feet. The legendary cracks that were known by everybody in the school. Back then I was known for three things: small size, sharp mind and the cracks. Walking barefoot on sharp murram and numbing dew was so fun that I would do it five days a week.


Then there is that pampers advert. The one showing how soft skin can get under the care of pampers. That's what he compared his feet with " my feet are as soft as......(can't direct translate without loosing the resentment meant. Insert it in your mother tongue)..., look at yours.  Back then I didn't know my feet's hate relationship with soil was the result of the cracks. Well until the sermon became about Paul and the thorn in his flesh and the preacher's thorn was an allergic reaction to mosquito bite. There and then it became clear.
And from that point, there was always a shoe at the back of my mind , maybe even a boutique . A shoe that would warrant not walking. A shoe that would warrant driving hence my love of 'em motors.
The reason we are here at www.motorinthepicture.blogspot.co.ke
Everytime I put on that seatbelt, the moment I get the clarks on, the moment I put it down on paper about the V8, the Q7, the X6; I bless him for the push factor. I will be seeing him soon and give him a ride in my new ride. On my original yana tires.
The drink is getting in my head but before I go, let's keep meeting here for stories and talk about cars.



No comments:

Post a Comment