Friday 23 September 2016

Always Vintage

GRANNY
It is 20 years since you went to be with the Lord. 24 years since this photo was by a guy with a 'seng'enge Ni ng'ombe' cap worn backwards on the squatting with one eye closed (I found it amusing and at that point all I wanted was a camera). KBC still played the national anthem at midnight as the last sound and the communications was still an idea like those grandkids you pestered me about. The picture is still fresh in my mind but more fresh is you, the memories of you granny.
I remember the fun we had and the fights. We were foodies and I remember how we enjoyed 'em roasted stuff. There was always something cooking. I have been bugged for my love of food but I do so "in the memory of granny".
Life was just getting better when you left. I became lonely and withdrawn. I got introverted. I went through the motions thinking about you, thinking about the fun and the food. I remember how your ears fascinated Jose G Muthui Junior as you sang to him being the snoring githee (probably understanding) and he would laugh himself silly to sleep. He is so big and tall now, a couple of kilometers taller than I. We still laugh about this to his annoyance.
I went to school and I grew big. I wear shoes nowadays and shorts too. You should see how things have changed. I just spoke to my friend who is in mathira ma githomo at the comfort of my couch. I didn't have to write those letters that were done to Wothaya Murage when she was in ruguru. I just dialed without having to go through an operator. I can take a photo of myself with my both eyes open. It's a called a selfie. My son was wondering why you didn't use your selfie stick (referring to your walking stick) to take this photo. I wish I could explain to him the hustle we went through to have a copy of this photo. The hole it left in your pocket.
Then you left. The hollow you left in my heart. I sought the company of books to fill it but it was not forthcoming. I did #sidney_sheldon books,#dan_brown and even the Harry Potters. The latest of the series is out by the way and I have a copy -Harry Potter and the cursed child. Am still reading but I still feel the hollow. I never thought I would ever love again. The heartbreak was so wrenching. I have met many a lady but it was always you. Then you sent her. I know you would have liked her. She is so beautiful and caring and she cooks and roasts for me like you used to do. You should have met her. I am no longer introverted. She makes me laugh and I talk a lot and ask many questions just like in the old times.
You should meet the small girl. She is named after you and I still make fun of her ears when she gets naughty and does she hate it. Guts granny is what she has.
Do you remember how agile I used to be granny? When you sent me knowing well I would get a piece of roasted sweet potato or nduma when I came back? That never changed. I am still agile, cheeky and naughty as you remember. Life has knocked me around enough since you left but I am stronger.
Vintage is the word that comes to mind when I think of you. Just like Porsche Spyder 911. We may have the 2016 Porsche Cayman model but I crave vintageThuo Patrick Junior's photo.
. I know a number who are with me in this.
I heard you guys( now that grandpa joined you) have been discussing about how my love for cars is maddening. I heard you met over some nyam chom on a Sunday afternoon and gave your approval. I will continue talking about the machines but you know I heart (blame it on the ladies' influence; I don't use such words) you granny.
I am recruiting for my foodies' club and the ducks advocacy association. We meet once in a while and the members are doubling.
The family says him and we are glad we got to be with you. Keep safe sweetheart. Always in my heart. WAMATU
Picture courtesy:www.imaginelifestyles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment